- So with the Crawling Throne destroyed, it’s time for Brak to finally get his vengeance against the man who abused him, the corrupt Grand High Crusader General of the Light: Rosaret!
- Saza disguises Brak as a page with polymorph. He goes into Rosaret’s tent and finds him as a disease-ridden old man shitting his lifeblood away (which brings him joy.) He convinces the other two pages to leave by “accidentally” tripping over the chamberpot.
- He’s about to kill the bastard when his hand is grabbed — by a beaten-up solar missing its wings.
- And that’s when things go south.
- In the tumult, Saza summons a fire elemental and casts blight on Rosaret. Much to her surprise, this kills him outright. Brak says we can leave now.
- This unfortunately does not disperse or desummon the angel. Which gets pissed off and kills Saza and downs Brak — all in the space of a single round (!).
- Gloria bashes the angel and runs for it. A crusader asks her if the fire elemental it just saw go into the tent is still there. “Yes, but it’s changed form!” The soldiers form up but aren’t sure whether or not to attack. The angel makes up their minds for them by cleaving straght through them.
- Having taken no damage yet, Flint tells Gloria to take off with Brak and Saza’s corpse. Knowing he has no chance of taking the thing, Flint resorts to trash talk. Eventually, he strikes a nerve. The angel teleports behind him and grabs him by the neck. (Triggering Flint’s seizure curse — which is by the way kind of the worst thing ever.)
- That’s when Father Bertio — an elderly priest and Brak’s father figure — creeps up behind the solar and strikes it from behind with banishment. He nails it (1). The fallen angel goes back from whence it came.
- In the aftermath, it turns out that the fallen angel and Rosarette have been pulling the church’s strings for a long time. A lot of the army’s more immoral actions — including the raiding of civilian supplies — can be traced straight back to him. In penance, Perrinar and Hawthorne decide they’re going to go after the death knight. Since the road doesn’t appear to be agreeing with Father Bertio, Flint suggests that he set up shop at Dauntless and stay close to Brak.
- Brak and Gloria head back to Dauntless to get Saza rezzed. While she’s dead, though, Saza has a conversation with the Raven Queen (who initially appears in the form of Squib.) (Fun fact: she and Marthammor are besties!)
Total XP: 9250 XP (more fun with CR 20 creatures!)
Treasure: TBD (Gloria raided Rosarette’s chifferobe for bling when no one was looking)
- Weeks later, we head up north to help Perrinar and Hawthorne track down the death knight. Going through Bael Turath, we make sure the refugees we met make it back to their village.
- While on the road, we got attacked by trolls when a certain someone I won’t mention(2) falls asleep on watch. After the initial shock, we take care of them without too much trouble.
- As we move further north, we come across Mordrick’s Factory. Flint takes note of the location.
- Finally coming across the death knight’s tracks, we head into the wilderness. In the process, we come across two packs of canines fighting — one side being two-headed death dogs, and the other being these weird human-faced things (3). Before we can move on, they turn on us when they detect easier prey. Saza takes the initiative and cheerfully uses chemical warfare (aka cloudkill) to clear out the warring packs. The other hounds go down fairly easily, but one gets Victor with a diseased bite, which means Gloria forces us to go home so Mac can cure it.
XP: 1800 XP (trolls) + 2000 XP (hounds) + 1000 XP (session bonus because Dan has nearly enough to level up (4))
(1) Ryan rolled two crit fails in a row for the solar’s saving throws.
(2) It was Brak. He made up for it later by rolling two twenties. It was that kind of session.
(3) Yeth hounds.
(4) FYI Flint is now level 13.